So many questions have been asked and many concerns have been shared about 2DVLS. To answer those questions and concerns with one swoop I decided to post my plans. NO I have not given up on the asset I just have a hard time doing anything quickly thanks to my busy schedule. Below I have listed some features and maybe some disappointments but hopefully this will clear up some questions.
- Unity 2D Sprite Update Compitable
- Implementing full support the sprite layer system
- Removing ‘hacky’ shaders allows for better quality control
- Pro shaders mentioned below work with Sprites (Unity Pro Only)
- Pro Pixel Shaders
- No more Non-Standard Shader Support for Unity Basic Users (Sorry)
- Most complaints are due to the ‘hacky’ shaders in current version
- Hard decision but I must follow Unity’s model and not force my own
- Collider2D -> Edge/Vertex Class to Reduce Raycast Calls
- Nifty new technique that converts 2DColliders into ‘Edges’
- Edges reduce the number of raycasts down to the minimum
- Proper Directional Lighting
- As seen in ‘Prison Architect’
- Allows you to set a direction to cast shadows from
- Uses the new Edge system
- High Performance with Low GC
- Edge system reduces Garbage Collection calls
- No need to allocate memory for collider arrays at runtime
- Instructions on Setting Up Loom Multi-Threading to Render your Lights
- LOOM is a great piece of software available from another developer on the Unity Asset store. You can find it HERE @ LOOM. 2DVLS 4 will allow those who own a copy of LOOM to take advantage of multi-threaded lighting.
I am happy to be introducing a NEW pricing model to be introduced with the next version of 2DVLS. I need to make sure this is find with Unity before I can go ahead but below outlines the plan.
- Free to download w/ full support!
- You will now be able to download the full product from my site via a link available in Unity Asset Store’s asset description.
- $25 to buy if you use the product or want to support me.
- In exchange for the purchase you will get early access to the beta patches. Please remember to save your invoice # though.
- You can use the invoice # to register for Beta builds
- And did I mention full support for both via firstname.lastname@example.org
Have I missed something you would like to see in the next version of 2DVLS? Feel free to contact me at email@example.com and let me know what you would like to see!